01 August 2012

Moldy Caulk

For years, moldy caulk around our main bathrooms' tub has plagued me. I have scrubbed...and scrubbed, and scrubbed some more. I finally gave up hope. For the last few months, I have just ignored it. We were driving back from a short weekend trip last weekend, and I made up my mind, I was going to get it clean.

(insert cheesy Western music)

Pinterest to the rescue.

You can find my original re-pin here: Moldy Caulk Solution

Sounded simple enough. I went to Sally's and picked up a small box of beauty coil. I went with the reinforced one, mostly because it sounded beefier. 

Here is an overall picture of the gross-ness. (I swear my bathroom is clean).


Supply picture. Bleach (usually not allowed in our house, that's why it's dust covered), a small dish, gloves and beauty coil. Simple enough, right? Total investment $3.19. 


After putting on those sexy yellow gloves, I poured the bleach into the shallow bowl, soaked a long piece of beauty coil in the bleach, and pushed it firmly into place. 


(cue anxious waiting music)


Ok, so not the magically white result I was expecting after an overnight soak, but certainly better. Time for round 2 and 3.
I ended up soaking the whole thing another 24 hours. I figured it wasn't going to hurt anything, and I had already made progress. 

Ok, so its not perfect, but it's better. After scrubbing with an old toothbrush and some bleach in those hard to get spots. I am happy with the result.
I am going to call this project a success. It is certainly better than it was before, with really minimal effort. I am sure if I put a little more elbow grease behind it, I might get it pristine again, but for now, I am at least not embarrassed to have people take a shower in there. 

You also might notice the hard water stains that are now absent from the original pictures. That's another post and another miracle tool for another day.

I would also like to point out, I got this little project done with minimal fuss from my son. I put him in the jumper, and he jumped away while I did all of this. I think there should be bonus points involved for that small feat.

Cheers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment